Google+ Allergy-Free Vintage Cookery: Dill Potato Salad

background

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Dill Potato Salad


This is a traditional Armenian recipe from my mother-in-law, Sarah (in Armenian, it's called Patatess ov Peyaz).  It contains no mayonnaise or oil, which might lead you to believe it's bland, but in fact it has a very strong flavor from the raw onions and fresh dill.  I actually like it better than traditional potato salad, because it's not so heavy and greasy.  As an added bonus, it's much lower in calories than traditional potato salad as well!  The salad makes a great complement to grilled meats (it's typically served at Armenian picnics with burgers made of lamb, beef, tomato paste, onions and parsley), but it works just as well as a foil for creamy vegan soups like the Split Pea Soup in my previous entry.  This recipe serves 4 -6 people, depending on how hungry they are!

Dill Potato Salad

4 medium potatoes
1 onion, diced
2 Tbsp fresh parsley
2 Tbsp fresh dill
juice of one lemon
salt & pepper to taste

Peel and boil the potatoes.  Cut into small pieces (eighths is fine) and add the chopped onion and lemon juice.  Use scissors to snip parsley and dill directly into the bowl of salad.  Chill at least one hour, then serve.  Tastes even better the second day after preparing!

Shared with Cybele Pascal's Allergy Friendly Friday (click here) and the Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as Mom.

6 comments:

  1. This looks so lovely! I'm going out to buy fresh dill tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you via Allergy Friendly Friday, this looks great! I am a big fan of dill in my cooking, my family background is Persian so we use it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dill too ... especially the smell of it in the kitchen. I feel like I'm outdoors! Thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I am trying this too. And, I am officially grabbing your button because YOU ARE AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how sweet! Thanks so much :) :) :)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the simplicity and the flavors here. I'm always looking for dairy-free and soy-free potato salads. I posted my version of French Potato Salad at URS this week.

    ReplyDelete