Google+ Allergy-Free Vintage Cookery: Farro Tabouli Salad

background

Monday, August 1, 2011

Farro Tabouli Salad


Another Armenian staple is Tabouli (or tabouleh), which is generally made with bulghur wheat.  This version uses farro instead, which may or may not contain gluten, according to my extensive (5 minute) internet search.  As my sons are only allergic to wheat, not gluten, it works for them, but if you are trying to avoid gluten, I would suggest asking your allergist or physician for his/her opinion about farro.  This recipe also works for my husband, who is avoiding oil.  As you can see from the photo, I left my veggies relatively large (because I love the color), but traditionally they would be chopped smaller.

Farro Tabouli Salad

1 cup cooked farro
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
2 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
juice of 1 lemon
salt to taste

Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate at least 1 hour.  Tastes even better on the second day.

Shared with Food Renegade's Fight Back Friday (click here) and Simple Lives Thursday at GNOWFGLINS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment