Google+ Allergy-Free Vintage Cookery: Allergy Friendly Angry Birds and Lunchbox Love 5

background

Friday, October 14, 2011

Allergy Friendly Angry Birds and Lunchbox Love 5


Time to share some more creative and healthy lunchbox ideas!  Today I was inspired by all the creative bento lunchbox link-ups last week, and decided to attempt to make something cute for lunch.  Angry Birds (from the iPad app) made out of food are all over the Internet, and most are based on those cute little red-wax-covered BabyBel cheeses.  Well why do things the easy way when you can raid your fridge for healthy (allergy-free) food and come up with a reasonable facsimile?  I say reasonable because the cheese-based ones are much cuter, but luckily my boys aren't fussy, just hungry :)  I made this lovely specimen from a GF, dairy-free, egg-free English Muffin (Joan's), some nitrite-free salami, bananas and beets for the eyes, olives for the eyebrows, a yellow cherry tomato for the beak, and more beets for the tail.  If you squint it looks like the red Angry Bird!

On to more fun stuff.  I have two posts to feature from last week's link-up.... one super-healthy recipe, and one amazingly creative and adorable bento lunchbox.  I say this every week, but it was REALLY HARD to pick my favorites, so I let the Mr. Linky software do the dirty work and count up how many views each submission has had.  I'm not sure I completely believe what it tells me, because there are some cute submissions that end up with low numbers of views, so spread the love and go back and click on everyone else from last week!

Today we can all ooh and ahh over Raia's Recipes' Soaked Granola Bars, which are gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free, and can be covered with chocolate or peanut butter frosting.  Yum!  Then take a look at Sheri's sweet jack-o-lantern "sushi" rolls over at Happy Little Bento.  The circles are slices of turkey hot dog surrounded by black and white rice - no fish here, just charming, healthy little friends for your lunchbox :)  Sometimes I wish I was a kid again just so I could eat this stuff!  (But then again, I'd rather not relive my teenage years, so I guess I'll stay 43.)

from Raia's Recipes

from Happy Little Bento

Now let's see what you packed for lunch this week!  Remember, your submission doesn't have to be completely allergy-free, just healthy :)

Shared with What's For Lunch Wednesday at BentoLunch and Pennywise Platter at The Nourishing Gourmet and Thursdays Treasures at Recipes for My Boys and Creative Juice at Momnivore's Dilemma and Show Off Your Stuff at Fireflies and Jellybeans and Creative Genius at The Creative Paige and Happiness Is at Rub Some Dirt On It and Weekend Bloggy Reading at Serenity Now and Inspiration Friday at At The Picket Fence and Foodie Wednesday at Frugal Wannabe Cooks and These Chicks Cooked at This Chick Cooks and The Thirty Sixth Avenue and Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries and Turning The Table Thursday at Around My Family Table and Weekend Wrap Up at Tatertots and Jello and Show and Tell Saturday at Be Different Act Normal and Strut Your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters' Stuff and Anything Goes at Bacon Time with The Hungry Hypo and Weekend Wander at While He Was Napping and Sundae Scoop at I Heart Naptime and Sharing Sunday at Everyday Sisters and Anti Procrastination Tuesday at New Nostalgia.

9 comments:

  1. I left a recipe for a quick dinner of sprouted quinoa with cannellini beans and fresh veggies. Leftovers are great for work and the recipe is certainly allergy-friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for highlighting the soaked granola bars Lisa! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little pumpkin sushi are too cute. Thanks for hosting. I linked a banana roll up. I filled it with almond butter, fruit only jelly, and a whole banana. If you can't do nut butter, you can substiute any filling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to check out the angry bird sandwich. My daughter would LOVE that. She is obsessed with the game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So why am I the only one who never captions their thumbnail correctly??? I'm sharing my gf, df version of an Orange Julius. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. following you from the blog hop, would love a follow back

    http://cumminslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great linkup! It's always great to have new lunch ideas, especially healthy ones! Thanks for sharing them with us at Rub Some Dirt On It!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. I am a new GFC follower from the blog hop. Hope you can stop by my blog http://www.freeebooksdaily.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so adorable. My youngest would love this for lunch.Very creative.

    Thank you so much for sharing this at Foodie Wednesday. Hope to see you this week as well.

    ReplyDelete