Google+ Allergy-Free Vintage Cookery: Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love #4 and Mini Stuffed Peppers

background

Friday, October 7, 2011

Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love #4 and Mini Stuffed Peppers


It's Lunchbox Love time again!  I really look forward to seeing what you all link up each week.  Packing a lunchbox every day can get tedious, both for the packer and the eater.  It helps a lot to see what other moms are doing ... whenever I ask my sons what their friends are eating all they ever say is "sandwiches!"  (Which may be the case, but it sure doesn't help me much :) )

Today I'm featuring two submissions.  Gluten Free Healthy Cake Donuts from Tessa Domestic Diva received the most clicks from readers, and Homemade Frozen Go-Gurts from Elevate Wellness were my personal favorite.  I can't wait to try both of these recipes, and my boys are beside themselves at the thought of finding donuts in their lunchboxes!

from Tessa Domestic Diva

Homemade Frozen Go-Gurts
from Elevate Wellness


My contribution today is so adorable I thought it might be too cutesy for boys to be seen eating it at school (luckily, they agreed to eat it).  As you can see in the photo at the top, I've stuffed teeny tiny little sweet peppers with quinoa.  My plan was to fill an entire lunchbox with miniature foods... mini stuffed peppers, mini muffins, tiny clementines, etc.  Of course, when it came time to take the photo, my stock of cute mini foods had been eaten all up, possibly by the Big Bad Wolf.  So, in the lunchbox above, you can see dried mangoes and hazelnuts instead.  I guess hazelnuts can be considered miniature, right?  

I didn't cook the peppers, as my children don't like "mushy" veggies.  You can stuff these with anything you like, but I found the quinoa worked well because the grains are so small themselves.  I just added a little lemon juice, salt and chives.... lots of different ingredients will work here.  

Miniature Stuffed Peppers

1 dozen mini sweet peppers
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp chopped chives
salt and pepper to taste

Cut the tops off the raw peppers (and reserve) and scoop out the seeds.  Mix together quinoa, lemon juice, chives, salt and pepper.  Stuff each pepper with a spoonful of the quinoa mixture, and replace the top on each pepper.  Serve as is (do not cook peppers). 

Now it's time for our link party!  What did you pack for lunch this week?  Remember, submissions don't have to be completely allergy-free, just free of whatever ingredients you are avoiding.  Link up a recipe or a whole lunchbox... we can't wait to see what you've got!

Shared with Allergy Friendly Friday at Cybele Pascal and Weekend Bloggy Reading at Serenity Now and Weekend Wrap Up at Tatertots and Jello and Once Upon a Weekend at Family Ever After and Thursdays Treasures at Recipes for my Boys and Strut Your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters' Stuff and the Creative Genius Link Party at The Creative Paige and Sundae Scoop at I Heart Naptime and Monday Mania at The Healthy Home Economist and Homemaker Monday at 11th Heaven's Homemaking Haven and Just Another Meatless Monday at Hey What's For Dinner Mom? and the Tuesday Confessional at Confessions of a Stay at Home Mom and Tasty Tuesday at Naptime Creations and Make A Food Friend Monday at The Saturday Evening Pot and Tuesdays at the Table at All The Small Stuff and Melt in Your Mouth Monday at Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms and Mangia Monday at Delightfully Dowling  and What's Cooking Wednesday at King's Court IV and These Chicks Cooked at This Chick Cooks and Whatever You Want Wednesday at Free Pretty Things for You and the Homemaking Link Up at Raising Homemakers and Idea Sharing Wednesday at Women Who Do It All and Show Off Your Stuff at Fireflies and Jellybeans and Pennywise Platter at The Nourishing Gourmet and Whisking Wednesday at A Pinch of This That and The Other.

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE my "gogurt" silicone pop molds, my kids favorite thus far are the avocado fudgesicles, you'll find them on my blog and they are divine! So creamy! And my kids hate avocado, so I like sneaking it into them whenever possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for the comment on my site. I added my posts to the party. Thanks for the invite! I have lots of gluten free and vegan ideas on my site as well. Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good! I am sharing your blog with my friend who has a little boy with food allergies! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my Diana Rambles blog. I linked the 2 lunches you suggested. I have started a new blog called Bento Blog Network. We have a weekly meme that starts on Friday and each week has a theme. You and your readers are welcome to join us there. If you have a meme button I can add it to the site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing on Thursday's Treasures! I Just Love the Mini Stuffed Peppers! <3 and Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - looks delicious! Thanks for linking up to the Creative Genius Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments on my blog & sharing the link up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up on Whisking Wednesday last week. Hope you'll pop back over this week and link up another few recipes!

    http://pinchofthisthatandtheother.blogspot.com/2011/10/whisking-wednesdays-22.html

    ReplyDelete