Google+ Allergy-Free Vintage Cookery: Coconut Red Lentil Soup with Butternut Squash

background

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Coconut Red Lentil Soup with Butternut Squash



I haven't had a lot of experience cooking red lentils, so when I found myself staring into my pantry at several bags worth, and not much else, I wasn't sure what direction I should take.  Some ingredients practically tell you what to make with them.... corn just says chowder, for example, or sweet potatoes yell "fries!" at me.  (What? They don't do that to you?  Hmmmm...)

Luckily, I decided to ask my trusty computer for some help.  When I googled "red lentil soup" the very first recipe (on Allrecipe) featured butternut squash, which happened to be the only vegetable in my fridge.  I took that as a sign.

I did need to make a few substitutions because I was missing a few other ingredients, but I was very happy with the result.  Given the amount of time I had stood staring into that pantry, the chances of us having a dinner that we all enjoyed were relatively slim.  Even Picky Eater ate some soup, and even deigned to tell me that it "wasn't that bad."  :)

The coconut milk in this soup gives it a lovely creamy texture, and the red lentils cook down to the consistency of rice (but with all the wonderful protein of a legume).  The spices are quite mild, letting the squash shine.  My husband preferred a good dash of hot sauce to perk up the soup, and we ate it with a delicious, sweet and citrusy salad that cut nicely through the thickness of the squash and starch.

Coconut Red Lentil Soup with Butternut Squash

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1/8 tsp mustard seed
1 cup dry red lentils
2 cups butternut squash (peeled and diced 1/2")
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 cups water
3/4 can (14 oz) coconut milk
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp nutmeg
pinch of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

In a large stockpot, saute the onion, garlic, mustard seed and ginger in the oil until the onion is soft.  Add the lentils, squash, and parsley, and stir to coat.  Add the water, coconut milk and tomato paste, then stir to mix.  Add the spices, then bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.

Shared with Pennywise Platter at The Nourishing Gourmet and Freaky Friday at Real Food Freaks and Fresh Bites Friday at Real Food Whole Health and Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade and Sunday School at Butter Believer and Sunday Night Soup Night at Easy Natural Food and Recipe of the Week at Family Fresh Meals.

9 comments:

  1. New Follower...Coconut Red Lentil-Butternut Squash Soup...WOW it looks fabulous! Must try it this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful recipe!! I love the combo of squash and lentils. It is similar to the one I'm going to link up tomorrow. We must have had the same kind of week! Nothing better than a wholesome, hearty, healthy soup to warm the body and the soul :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious! Hope to see you at Sunday Night Soup Night again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good!! I just cooked with butternut squash for the first time last week, and it was in a soup with coconut milk. I loved it and I'm a total convert! Will have to try this one too.

    I'd love for you to come share this recipe at our blog carnival, Sunday School! It's up right now if you'd like to come take a look! :)

    http://butterbeliever.com/2011/11/13/sunday-school-real-food-link-love-blog-carnival-4/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful. I love anything with butternut squash, coconut milk, or curry. This has all three, so it must be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe with Sunday Night Soup Night. I'll be hosting weekly through
    fall and winter, so I'd love to see you again with your next soup/stock/chowder recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this soup looks divine Lisa!!

    I just wanted to let you know that I'm giving you the Triple Cute Blog Award! You can get the badge off my site: http://michellebelanger.blogspot.com/2011/11/triple-cute-blog-award.html

    Love your blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have 4 of my favorites in the soup... lentils, squash, coconut milk AND curry! Amazing! This recipe sounds like it would be a party on my tongue! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete