Google+ Allergy-Free Vintage Cookery: Fresh Blueberry Muffins (gluten & dairy free)

background

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Fresh Blueberry Muffins (gluten & dairy free)

Gluten & Dairy Free Blueberry Muffins

Hi Ladies, I'm back!  We have finally moved to our new house, put away all our kitchen gear, started to re-stock our pantry, and are ready to try cooking in our new space :)

I thought I'd start off with something easy, and since we now live right across the street from a "you-pick" blueberry patch, blueberry muffins seemed just the thing!  I used up just about all of my specialty flours before we moved, to avoid packing them, but luckily I did hang onto a box of Arrowhead Mills gluten-free baking mix.  Unfortunately, Arrowhead Mills doesn't print a muffin recipe on their box, and I had a sinking feeling that my usual proportions for muffins weren't going to work because their flour mix is so fine (it's basic ingredient is rice flour).

Luckily, son #2 and I have been watching enough Food Network to feel pretty confident about jumping in and winging it, and our result was not bad.  A little dry, but not bad.  I'd love to hear about the recipes you all use to make muffins with Arrowhead Mills mix.  Do you use heavier binders like coconut oil, or just more liquid?? I did use eggs in this version because I'm out of flax meal, and just didn't serve the muffins to my egg-allergic son.  The texture of these reminds me of corn muffins (although there isn't any corn in them) -- kind of grainy and crumbly -- and I think they would be nice with butter, for those of you who are eating dairy, or maybe even a coconut oil spread.

One note about oven times on this recipe:  my new convection oven is a monster, and seems to be cooking everything in about half the normal time.  I baked these muffins on 375 for about 15 minutes, but in a normal oven I would suggest 400 for 20 minutes.  It's going to take me a little while to get used to all this new equipment, but bear with me!  Looking forward to cooking up a storm this summer :)

Fresh Blueberry Muffins

2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup rice milk
3/4 cup agave nectar or brown rice syrup
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
2 cups Arrowhead Mills gluten free baking mix
2 cups fresh blueberries

Mix wet ingredients (eggs through vanilla), then add baking mix.  Fold in blueberries.  Fill greased muffin tins (I use coconut oil) two-thirds full and bake at about 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  We had some extra batter, and made six additional mini muffins (baked for 7 minutes in the convection oven).  Enjoy!

Shared with Allergy Free WednesdayHearth and Soul HopSlightly Indulgent TuesdayGluten Free Wednesday and Gluten Free Friday

5 comments:

  1. Well welcome back Lisa! I was so excited to see your post pop up. :-) Awesome recipe. And lucky you to live across the street from a blueberry patch. Love that!!

    Glad to have you back and blogging! You were missed!

    Hugs,
    -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use unsweetened applesauce instead of oil so mine don't really crumble but they do have to be refrigerated. I also usually use the flax see egg substitute. My recipe is pretty close to yours. Yours look really good -- so nicely browned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your muffins look amazing! I know they will be a hit with my son!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello There Lisa,

    Pssst…I passed you an award: The Sunshine Award. Thank you for your amazing blog. Please don’t feel too much pressure with these awards, they’re just a fun and way for bloggers to recognize other bloggers and spread some love. And so with admiration and appreciation, today I’m passing it to you.

    Warmly,
    -Amber from The Tasty Alterative

    Award Post: http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2012/07/spreading-love-part-i-sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh i could definitely go for one of those right about now! yum!

    ReplyDelete