Google+ Allergy-Free Vintage Cookery: Summertime Tomato and Caramelized Onion Tart

background

Friday, August 26, 2011

Summertime Tomato and Caramelized Onion Tart



I've always loved the idea of a tomato and caramelized onion tart, but most recipes that I tried came out too soggy and relatively bland, probably from all the cheese they included.  Now that we're dairy-free, I thought I'd try my hand at a tart without cheese.  I was a little worried that the finished product would be lacking in some necessary saltiness, that it would need a counterpoint to the mild tomatoes and sweet onions.  Lucky for me, I needed to make this gluten-free as well, so instead of a traditional pie crust, I used a nut & oat crust instead, and WOW did that work out well to provide the yin to the filling's yan!

I'm still tweaking the crust a little to make it harder and easier to serve without crumbling, but I'm posting the recipe now so you can try it while all the lovely tomatoes are in season!  For a more elegant presentation (for a brunch or a tea), you might want to grind the nuts to an even finer powder and pack them in a thinner layer, so the crust is more delicate.  You may also want to slice your tomatoes thinner and use more of them so the filling looks finer and more deliberate.

Summertime Tomato and Caramelized Onion Tart

1 large sweet onion (Vidalia or similar)
2 large tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup macadamia nuts
1 cup pecans
1 cup oats (I used Irish oats)*
2 - 3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt

Begin by caramelizing the onion.  Slice it very thin, and cook over medium heat in 1/4 cup olive oil with 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp sugar (use raw sugar, or leave this out if you are avoiding sugar).  Stir occasionally, until the onions are soft and golden brown.  This may take 20 minutes or so.

Meanwhile, prepare the crust.  In a food processor, grind macadamias, pecans and oats until they become a fine powder.  Mix in 1 tsp salt and 2 -3 Tbsp olive oil, until the mixture can be pressed into a pie pan and hold its shape.  Flatten bottom of crust and use a spoon to press the mixture up the sides of the pan.

When the onions are ready, pour them into the crust.  Slice your tomatoes as thin as you can and layer them in a circular pattern over the onions.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 30 minutes.  Garnish with fresh tarragon or rosemary and serve warm.

*Note: To make this crust Paleo (without grains), substitute 1/2 cup coconut flakes or 2 Tbsp coconut flour.

Shared with Wellness Weekend at Diet, Dessert and Dogs, and Fresh Bites Friday at Real Food Whole Health and Fresh Food Friday at La Bella Vita and Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home and Inspiration Friday at At The Picket Fence and Hodgepodge Friday at It's A Hodgepodge Life and Friday Flair at WhipperBerry and Allergy Friendly Friday at Cybele Pascal and Show and Tell Saturday at Be Different Act Normal, and On The Menu Monday at StoneGable and Living Well Blog Hop at Jo's Health Corner and Friday Food at MomTrends and Monday Mania at The Healthy Home Economist and Amaze Me Monday at Dittle Dattle and Just Another Meatless Monday at Hey What's For Dinner Mom and the Homestead Barn Hop at the Prairie Homestead and Good and Tasty Tuesday at Stay At Home Babe and Farmhouse Friday at LaurieAnna's Vintage Home and Rednesday at It's A Very Cherry World and Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop and Share Awesomeness Thursday at The 36th Avenue and Simple Lives Thursday at Sustainable Eats and Sharing Sundays at Everyday Sisters.

11 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! What a great combo of flavors and yummy crust :) I saw your post on Wellness Weekend @ Diet, Dessert and Dogs. Thanks for sharing. ~ Emily @ Recipes to Nourish http://recipestonourish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks soooo good. Wish I had a slice right this minute. I know it must be a challenge cooking with allergies involved but seems you have it well in hand. I would like to follow you if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Emily ~ I've been seeing your recipes everywhere and I love them! I think we're linking in the same circles :)

    @ Latane ~ Please do! Thank you so much for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. M-m-m. this sounds so good! I need to give this a try. I'm visiting from OTMM at Stonegable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so yummy! I have food allergies as well and am currently anaphylactic to 6 of the top 8 excluding eggs and dairy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks festive--and delicious!

    FEELING RED

    I am feeling red today—
    Better that than blue, they say.

    Red is such a cheery shade,
    Sweetest color ever made,

    Brightens everything you do—
    Better red, they say, than blue!


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Dragon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy anything that has tomatoes. I would dearly love this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up to the Living Well blog hop. The tart looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so delicious! I'm glad my girls don't have dairy allergies because I'm a bona fide cheese-a-holic!

    ReplyDelete